Andrew Berg received the Junior Silver Bell award. Andrew is a great role model for the younger kids. He shows, and also participates in Livestock Judging and Knowledge Bowl. Andrew is a student at SDSU. He is the son of Phil and Laurel Berg of Pipestone.
Jo Bernard received the Silver Bell Award. Jo has devoted many years and countless hours supporting the youth sheep project, both at local and national level. Jo also serves as the MN State Fair sheep superintendent and assists with many major sheep shows and sales. Jo and her husband Mark raise Cheviots near New Richland.
Another wonderful Lamb Social with 3 Lamb samplings by chef Virgil Emmert, sheep cheese samples, and local wines.
Don’t Miss the Shepherd’s Holiday!
Enjoy lamb cooking demos from Chef Virgil Emmert, wine tasting (from Sovereign Estates), and sheep cheese samples (from Shepherd’s Way Farm) at the Celebrate Lamb Social, Friday, Dec. 2 at the Oak Ridge Conference Center.
Saturday, Dec. 3 includes a full day of educational seminars (and updated agenda found on this site), the Make It With Wool contest and fashion show, Silver Bell Awards luncheon, and annual banquet and fundraiser auction.
Reserve your room by calling 877-874-6772. For more information contact MLWPA Secretary, Jeremy Geske at firstname.lastname@example.org
Refer to index bar at right on this page under SHEPHERD’s HOLIDAY to reveiw a complete conference agenda.
- Lambing in January?
- Time to pull the rams out?
- Time to give the ewes their mid-gestation booster shot?
- Lambing in Spring?
- How are the rams looking?
- Have they been sheared and are the feet trimmed?
- Are they in good condition or should you up their feed quantity or quality a little before you put them to work?
- Hay tends to lose its vitamins after a few months. Adding a vitamin mix to your ewe ration this time of year can have good results.
- Feeds you might not think of feeding your sheep but that they’ll probably love
- Windfall apples – many days in the fall our ewes get 10-12 apples each
- Waste pumpkins and squash. Throw the ones you can’t use in the sheep pen so they break up. Pretty soon the sheep will be breaking them up.